Monday, May 5, 2008

Quick Looks: Dockside

Dockside
by Susan Wiggs

Contemporary Romance

A single mom, Nina Romano is suddenly faced with empty-nest syndrome as her daughter heads off to college. Nina was a teenager when she became pregnant and has dedicated the last 18 years to her daughter, Sonnet. Now at 34, she realizes that this is finally the time to pursue her long-held dreams of buying the local inn and restoring it to its former glory. Unfortunately, she is just a bit too late as it has just been sold.

Greg Bellamy, is a single dad who has dreams of his own – to make a stable home for his divorce-shocked son and pregnant, troubled 18 year old daughter. He needs Nina’s help with the management of the inn, as well as her insight into dealing with his daughter. Their past relationship makes things a bit sticky – and very interesting!


What I liked:
I was impressed by her characterization skills – a really big draw for me. Her secondary characters really come alive and the fact that she intertwines so many stories without losing focus of the main couple is a real feat. I really like knowing that I’ll get to meet these people again and get to explore some of the others in more depth. I also like that the stories are set in the Catskill Mountains.

What I didn’t like:
There were a couple of instances where I would have liked to tell Nina “Just get over yourself already!”

Overall:
This is the first book I’ve read by this author and I can safely say it won’t be the last. Although this is the third book in the Lakeshore Chronicles series, it stands on its own merit and I didn’t feel out of the loop as I might in a trilogy. I’m already looking forward to the fourth in the series, Snowfall at Willow Lake, which came out on the new book cart just recently. If you’d like to start at the series beginning, the first two are Summer at Willow Lake and Winter Lodge. I’m putting them on my own summer reading list.

Reviewed by Michele

No comments: