Monday, October 6, 2008

Really Unusually Bad Book


Really Unusual Bad Boys
By MaryJanice Davidson

I’d say that this is one of the worst books I have ever read, but since I didn’t finish it that wouldn’t be entirely honest. I can say that this is one of the few books I have ever become so impatient with that halfway through I snorted in disgust, rolled my eyes, and pitched it into the depths of my totebag for a quick trip back to the library.

I had expected more. Davidson is the author of the very popular Queen Betsy the Vampire books, a series with many fans. I don’t have the time to commit to a new series right now, so I thought I would start with this book of three linked stories. It seemed like a safe bet: I’ve been on a paranormal roll lately and these stories feature three royal shapeshifting brothers from another world. As if that’s not enough, the heroines are all women from Earth who somehow hiccup through the space time continuum to hook up with their hunky true loves.

The princes are from a desert world called – get this—Sandlands. Inventive, no? It gets worse. The heroine of the first story, Lois, is like Stephanie Plum, only more so. More muscular, more attitudinal, more inclined to swear constantly, and so on. She is so busy being tough and bossy that she never demonstrates any really appealing characteristics. Lois is a one note song and that note is off-key. And it doesn’t get any better from there. I had hoped it would, so I started the second story. Instead of irritated, I got bored. I then skimmed the third and realized there was no hope.

So I gave up. My advice? Skip it.

No comments: